I love the work of the French writer Albert Camus and thought it time we did one of our Top Ten Conflict Tips based on his thinking.
- All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
- An intellectual is someone whose mind watches itself
- By definition, a government has no conscience. Sometimes it has a policy, but nothing more.
- Don’t walk behind me; I may not lead. Don’t walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend
- He who despairs of the human condition is a coward, but he who has hope for it is a fool
- Integrity has no need of rules
- The evil that is in the world almost always comes of ignorance, and good intentions may do as much harm as malevolence if they lack understanding
- The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man’s heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy
- Virtue cannot separate itself from reality without becoming a principle of evil
- We used to wonder where war lived, what it was that made it so vile. And now we realize that we know where it lives… inside ourselves
This is Albert