Having recently used one of his quotes I found interesting, time for one of your Top Ten Conflict Tips from one of the 20th Century’s most conflicted thinkers: Bertold Brecht.
- Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are.
- The law was made for one thing alone, for the exploitation of those who don’t understand it, or are prevented by naked misery from obeying it.
- What is the robbing of a bank compared to the founding of a bank?
- To live means to finesse the processes to which one is subjugated.
- What they could do with ’round here is a good war. What else can you expect with peace running wild all over the place? You know what the trouble with peace is? No organization.
- The finest plans have always been spoiled by the littleness of them that should carry them out. Even emperors can’t do it all by themselves.
- Don’t tell me peace has broken out.
- The aim of science is not to open the door to infinite wisdom, but to set a limit to infinite error.”
- Nowadays, anyone who wishes to combat lies and ignorance and to write the truth must overcome at least five difficulties. He must have the courage to write the truth when truth is everywhere opposed; the keenness to recognize it, although it is everywhere concealed; the skill to manipulate it as a weapon; the judgment to select those in whose hands it will be effective; and the running to spread the truth among such persons.”
- After the uprising of the 17th of June
The Secretary of the Writers’ Union
Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinalle
Stating that the people
Had forfeited the confidence of the government
And could win it back only
By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertolt_Brecht