I am getting tired of all this the-world-will-end-on-November 9th if Trump is elected. It will all take time.
- Violently deporting 11 million undocumented immigrants will not take place immediately, but may take a few months to get really going after the Inauguration (which will presumably be based on the Nuremberg Rally model).
- Making abortion illegal and jailing women who have had abortions in the past that will take time and a new Supreme Court justice.
- Increasing the rate of police shootings and the paramilitary deaths squads takes time to organize, based on the Argentinian experience, but expect early practice.
- Crashing the global economy may take up to a year.
- Breaking all treaty obligations can be done quite fast: climate change, Iran disarmament: an afternoon’s work I suspect.
- NATO may take a bit longer.
- Increased subsidies for fossil fuels and closing down alternative energy sources, building lots more pipelines through sacred sites will take a few months if Congress is supportive.
- Abolishing the EPA, CDC and other pesky government agencies can be done in a year or so.
- Repealing Dodds Franks and greatly reducing taxes on the rich: a year maybe.
- And I can’t predict how soon Trump will start the nuclear war that 20% of his supporters apparently when polled expect him to deliver, but surely it must be in his first term for credibility and narcissism sake?
All good stuff for the Bernie holdouts, Steinistas and absentionists, who all believe it has to get far worse before it gets better, rather like the German Communist Party (KPD) in 1932…50 million dead in WW2 later they were not so sure. Let’s hope we can do it for fewer dead this time, but don’t count on it.