On the refugee crisis on the US southern border some causal data.
1) The US has been de-stabilizing Central America for 150 years with military and other interventions and Guatemala is the latest case
2) Climate change, for which the US is disproportionately responsible and just left the Paris accord, is a major driver of refugee movements world wide as the Pentagon has been predicting for a decade. And Central America is suffering from this, and Mexico could collapse down the road from drought caused by this
3) The almost failed state of Mexico is suffering from narco-terrorism driven by the US demand for drugs and the US War on Drugs
4) The arms used by the Mexican cartels are all supplied by US gun dealers
5) The NAFTA trade threats of Trump could badly hurt the Mexican economy and exacerbate refugee flows
6) And even in Europe the refugee crisis is caused largely by climate change droughts in Syria that led to the civil war, drove up the food costs across the Arab world and the droughts in Sub Saharan Africa. So the US is a cause there too.
7) The 10 million or so undocumented immigrants are an essential part of the US economy doing jobs that Americans don’t want to do (pick crops in the hot sun) or in places they won’t move to (high cost urban areas). Keeping them in limbo is a scam by conservatives to suppress their pay, abuse their hard work, and have a labor force without safety regulations. That’s why the GOP don’t want a path to citizenship or to seriously end immigration. They like the current awful situation.
Republicans are not only morally repugnant in their stance on refugees; they are like irresponsible teens who just killed people while DUI. They are major causes of the problem.